Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Day 8 and Week 1 Weigh In

Week One Weigh In ::sigh:: I had hoped this would be a little more exciting but, it is what it is.

Starting Weight: 159

Current Weight: 159

Today's Exercise:

Today I ate:
-20 oz. smoothie (mango, banana, honey, ground flax seed, spinach, water, ice)
-Cashew Butter and Honey Sandwich on wheat bread (not raw)...left over from my children's lunch
-Natural "fruit roll up" (organic fruit, no sugar added)
-Large Salad with lettuce, spinach, cucumber, carrots, tomato, leeks, sunflower seeds, and raw dressing of honey, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar

-3 pieces of bacon (I know, I know!!)

Observations: Sooooo...new development. After a week of very healthy, (mostly) raw eating, and not losing an ounce, I have done a little investigating today. I have been wondering if I have been eating too much food. As you can see from above, I have not eaten very much today, at least I don't think so. I have been mildly hungry most of the day. I plugged EVERYTHING that has entered my mouth into fitday.com (very cool website, you should check it out). Not only is this website a calorie counter, but it also tells you how much of your daily intake of vitamins, minerals, protein, calcium, etc. you have had, and how much of each is in the foods you ate. And it has a nifty pie chart to show you what percentage of your calories are coming from carbs, fats, etc. According to other online calculators, I should be eating about 2000 calories a day to maintain my weight, 1500 a day to lose 1 pound a week.
Venture a guess...how many calories do you think would be in the foods that are in BOLD above? Looking at that list, mostly of fruits and veggies, I would guess around 700...and I would think that is a generous guess!!
Well, I was WRONG. I have already had 1236 calories today. Just from that little bit of food!! Crazy. Did not see that coming. Apparently, I have been eating too much. I am going to take a couple of days from last week and plug them in to see how many calories I was eating last week. And I am going to be plugging in the raw foods I eat this week and try to stay around 1500 calories. We'll see what that does to this darn baby fat!

Oh, and random fun fact...did you know that Jason Mraz is a raw foodie? He is one of my favorite musicians, so I thought that was kind of interesting. He has a raw food blog...but be warned, it does have some language.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laurel, don't get discouraged! I have come to the conclusion that you just can't really loose weight until you have completely weaned your child. And, I have also been told that when you first start to "diet" and exercise that it is not unusual to gain weight or not loose any at all. Something about your muscles holding on to water while they adjust to being used. That would seem to fit your case, if it's true. Anyway, I applaud you for your efforts in trying to lead a healthier lifestyle...maybe you should come and rub off at my house!

Nikki said...

Hey - I meant to comment on your last post, but forgot, sorry - so here it is now! Have you taken your measurements? I've been working on losing weight for a couple of weeks, with the help of a naturopath. The first week, I lost a kilo and a half, then put on a kilo (I think a kilo is a couple of pounds?) for a grand total of half kilo loss. I was livid, seeing as I'd eaten like a SAINT! But luckily the naturopath had taken my measurements and I'd lost 4cm off my waist, and 1cm off my bust. He said that measurements are REALLY important. Especially for women, because our weight tends to fluctuate so much with fluid retention and our monthly cycle. So if you haven't already, record your waist, bust, thigh and hip measurements as well. Sometimes they're much more encouraging than the scales!

Sara said...

Hey mama...
Don't get discouraged. It takes time to figure out what works with your body. Here are a few suggestions...easier said than done, of course :)

1. After your green smoothie, eat only sweet juicy fruits all day, and a huge green salad at night with very little oil on it.
2. Limit overt fats to 10% or less of your diet (for the whole day, you would only have 1/4 avocado, or a small handful of nuts, or 1 T of nut butter)
3. Stop eating after 7pm.

I would suggest the book The 80/10/10 diet by Dr. Doug Graham...I know you would like it. Also, I really love reading Fred's article's here:
http://www.fredericpatenaude.com/articles.html

And I do agree with Nikki...your body is changing so much on the inside...cleansing, etc. The outside will follow suit in it's own timing. Keep goin' mama!