Wednesday, October 14, 2009

CUTTING OUT THE REFINED...

Last week I took steps to eliminate refined sugar and flour. Basically, I tried to eat nothing processed. I didn't do it 100% but I ate very well. And I lost 5 pounds. Yeeeeaaaaaaah. I lost 1.5 pounds more than I lost all of last month. So that was really nice. And I felt (feel) great. Interesting thing happened...when I wasn't eating any sugar (except fresh fruit), I didn't want sugar. I didn't miss it AT ALL. But one afternoon, I saw a gum ball on the counter. And without even thinking about it, I popped it in my mouth. I struggled with cravings for the rest of the day. Just from chewing that one piece of gum! Craziness.
Last night was The Great Cotton Candy Binge of '09. I enjoyed every. single. bag. Yes, I had BAGS of cotton candy. Every bite was blissful. Pretty sure I won't touch cotton candy for another year. Back to yummy whole foods today.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

You didn't have to go through a day or so of craving it at first? Cold turkey worked? (Before the gum ball.)

Glo said...

No refined sugar? What did you eat? I may be able to add some of what you ate to my diet...

Help!

laurel said...

Lots of fruits and veggies, eggs, peanut butter on Ezekiel Bread. Do you eat Ezekiel bread? No sugar or anything like that...just whole sprouted grains. Very healthy. Usually for breakfast I would have either a green smoothie or scrambled eggs with a piece of cinnamon raisin ezekiel bread with either peanut butter or almond butter. For lunch, stir fry or salad or veggie soup. Popcorn or fruit for a snack. Dinner would be grilled salmon with asparagus and brown rice or quinoa or some similar meal.

laurel said...

Jessica, I didn't miss it at all. i was very surprised b/c I love my sugar. And bread with butter. As long as I didn't have anything in the house to tempt me, I was fine.